Re: A list administation query

* Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [2005-01-07] :

> There is a difference between an SMTP-reject and a bounce message. =20
> Generally, an SMTP-reject will result in a bounce message only if a=20
> real MTA is sending.

Assuming that I have understood the distinction correctly, it appears to
validate my current practice.  My "From:" address is the address that
was destroyed by the Swem worm.  Messages to it will be rejected by my
ISP (who also learnt something from the Swem worm).  The programs, with
which I am familiar, all automatically select the "Reply-To:" entry for
list readers who wish to reply direct.  Email harvesters, who trawl
public lists, normally focus on the "From:" entry.

The encrypting service, offered by gmane, would add an additional level
of security.  But the delay in posting follow-up messages via gmane
makes it a less that perfect option. Especially as I already have
built-in delays due to using an off-line newsreader and only download the
headers of new postings in the first instance.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)