Re: Sound problem - very belated followup

On 2004-12-21, Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Felix Karpfen (<felixk@webone.com.au>) wrote:

SNIP

>> ,----[ modules.conf ]-
>> | [...]

>> | #alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio //remark this line,
>> |    this is default audio driver
>> | [...]
>> | #--- Intel 8x0  and SiS 7012 ----------
>> | alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
 >> | options snd-intel8x0 snd_index=0 snd_id="ICH"
>> | [...]
>> `---

SNIP

> alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-intel8x0 snd_index=0 snd_id="ICH"
>
> (I have no idea it the snd_id option is correct that way, I just took it
> from your example above)

SNIP

> make sure that hotplug, alsa-base and discover1 are installed
> with the latest versions ***so that the OSS driver are not loaded. Use
> lsmod to check if maybe this is the problem. I think the OSS driver
> name is i810_audio.****

It gets loaded by default at boot because the Intel 8x0 driver could
not be found.

 kernel: i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0x9000 and 0x9400,
        MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000, IRQ 193
 kernel: i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
 kernel: i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
 kernel: i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
 kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ADS112 (Unknown)
 kernel: i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 6

The initial reply to this advice failed to get to its intended
destination.

Fortunately, because the information that it contained was probably
beside the point.

The short story is that the CD that came with my (newly acquired)
computer is designed for installing drivers in a Windows environment. It
appears to lack the sound driver needed to persuade the hardware to
work with Debian

And the only clue that I have discovered is:

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
   [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
     ****Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 80b0

The only other (possibly relevant) information is that Asustek is the
Asia-Pacific subsidiary of ASUS Computers (the German subsidiary is in
Ratingen).

Attempts to contact Asustek Computer Inc. for information generated a
prompt (automated) response that I found unhelpful.

All advice will be gratefully received.
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)