Re: Can a particular network card be permenantly bound to an eth'x' number?

rich wrote:
I have several network cards in my laptop - wired lan, wireless lan,
loopback & firewire.  After a recent update (I'm running testing) my
interface numbers all jumped around so that instead of the wired lan
being eth0, it's now eth1 & the firewire is eth0.  What defines what
eth'x' number is given to which network device?  It's a pain having to

I may be mistaken but AFAIK the interface number is determined by what order the modules are loaded into the kernel. On my laptop I have both wireless and wired networks so to ensure consistency I use /etc/modules to manually order the loading sequence.

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther
Mechanical Engineering Graduate Researcher