Re: Can a particular network card be permenantly bound to an eth'x' number?

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 21:21 +0000, rich wrote:
> I have several network cards in my laptop - wired lan, wireless lan,
> loopback & firewire.  After a recent update (I'm running testing) my
> interface numbers all jumped around so that instead of the wired lan
> being eth0, it's now eth1 & the firewire is eth0.  What defines what
> eth'x' number is given to which network device?

It's the order they are stumbled across during boot -- SCSI disks are a
lot like that, too.

> It's a pain having to
> change configuration each time they move numbers (as also happens
> depending on whether I boot with my wireless cardbus in the slot or
> not)!

How true, how true! And if you have 2 different Enet interfaces, and the
load order of the kernel modules changes, eth1 and eth0 are swapped --
but the addresses aren't (3 hours debugging yesterday).

Linux is clearly intended for very static systems, hardware-wise.

OTOH, if you set up a DHCP server to always assign addresses by MAC
address, the ethn numbers may change, but the network addresses won't. I
haven't figured out what to do about SCSI yet.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com