weird time problem

Bran new machine. I'll try to describe the problem with the time.

The logs are not helpfull because I cannot determine what happens first, the time going back to 1901 or 1938 (it differs) Or Courier imap screaming the .Maildir doesn't exit (which it clearly does) or it doesn't have permission.

In any event, I tend to believe the problem is the time and that's what makes courier barf.

The fix?   Weird as hell, simply reboot the machine.

Ideas????