Re: ATI Radeon 9200 / 9600 on a 2.6.x kernel

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:53 -0500, J.F.Gratton wrote:

Well nothing really out of ordinary, I think, with grub and lilo, as you
know.

So basically I run Solaris 10 (build 72 now) for Intel (dev
environment), XP (fooling around), Linux (main system).

I thought SunOS was killed 12 years ago.

SunOS died from a sales & marketing perspective when Sun decided to switch their allegiance from BSD to SVR4. So they called the new OS, which might otherwise have been known as SunOS 5, "Solaris 2". There was some sense to this, given the fact that the new OS was a rewrite. OTOH at the same time they did an after the fact rename of SunOS 4.1.x to Solaris 1.x, which was pretty pointless and annoying. Following on from this Sun released Solaris 2.0 - 2.6, and the marketing people evidently thought that everyone was getting too comfortable with the naming scheme so they dropped the 2 and started selling Solaris 7-9. Solaris 10 is supposed to be open source.

Sun's engineering dept is a little more practical and continuity of OS name and version numbering has been maintained, therefore uname -s reports SunOS 5.0-5.9 rather than Solaris 2.0-2.6,7-9.

To make it a bit worse: on linux I run VMWare so there I can also run
SunOS 5.9 and XP, albeit simultaneously this time.

Or is SunOS 5.9 the same as Solaris 9 ?

Yes.

Another computer runs Fedora Core 3 and SunOS 5.9 (dual boot) with a W2K
in VMWare.

Next smart step would be to configure a dhcp daemon but heck, I'm lazy
and don't find the time to do that :)

Something like that is on the to-do list with our Solaris machines, and has been for some time now. :)