Re: Some questions from new debian user

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 00:16 +0300, Serge Matveev wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:46:53 +0000 (GMT) Thomas Adam wrote:
>  TA>  --- Serge Matveev <serge@matveev.spb.ru> wrote:
> >>     - How I can setup font lookup order in X. If I have two fonts with
> >> the
> >>       same alias (9x16 by example) - one with western symbols and other
> >> -
> >>       with cyrrilic, how I can set "cyriilic" alias to be "main"?
>  TA> The order that the fonts are searched in is dependant on the order that
>  TA> the font lines are listed in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -- change them around.
>
>     Hm, but I have XF86Config-4 maged by debconf :-(

You've stumbled upon upon an edge case for debian's configuration
system. Or, hopefully, it's not such an edge case and the cyrillic
desktop or environment will fit your needs.

But, fundamentally, debconf will only get you most of the way to what
you need personally. (It's not intended to get you all the way, the
maintainers have a little more humility than that :) Your own hand
crafted configurations to match your needs and hardware that the debconf
system pretty much leaves alone is not only debian's strength (IMHO) but
it's where you will inevitably end up if you stay with debian for long.
So if you are an edge case start now, move the Font lines around in
XF86Config-4 and get what you want.