Re: Compiling Vanilla 2.4.22 Kernel Help Needed

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 22:58 -0500, PHANI ARAVA wrote:
> I tried to get that patch but never found it .. I tried to google for it and still didnt get it
>
> I have made the initrd image but still i suppose iam still getting a kernel panic
>
> Phani Kumar Arava
> Grad Student                                             1560 Worthington Street
> Columbus Ohio 43201
>
> Contact: (614)-291-8950
> mailto: arava.3@osu.edu,phani.arava@gmail.com, arava_phani@yahoo.com

It should be included in the Debian sources. Just diff the cramfs stuff
if you don't see a clean patch in that source (it may already be
applied).

Why are you using vanilla sources? I assume because you needed to apply
some third party patch and it didn't apply cleanly to the Debian
sources. You could either apply your patch to the Debian sources or
extract the cramfs patch from the Debian sources and apply it to the
vanilla sources.

Can you try a more recent 2.4 kernel? It may have the cramfs patches in
it. I know the 2.6 kernel does (no need to patch it).

The easiest solution is to not use the initrd. Just compile your
filesystem modules directly into the kernel and you wont need an initrd.

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>