Determining a device

I'm attempting to get my Canon LiDE 20 scanner working. So far it works, kind of. I can find it with lsusb. When I run xsane as a normal user it cannot find the device. However when I run xsane as root it does find it. xsane's help suggests this is because of a permissions problem on the device entry itself. The problem is I have no clue what device entry the scanner is coming in as? The most likely candidates I've found from /etc/sane.d/* don't work when I chown them to my normal user account. Those being /dev/scanner and /dev/sg0. Any ideas how I can get from the USB listing to the proper device entry in /dev?