Re: how to set up 2 hard drives to cable select

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:45:08 -0800, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
<snip>

> Cable select only works with one drive on the cable if it's going to
> work at all.  I generally consider cable select *way* more trouble than
> it was ever worth, and I *really* wish hard drive manufacturers would
> let it die already.  Just use master/slave.

The whole purpose of "cable select" is to auto-configure multiple
drives. As for letting it die, there is no Master/Slave/CS on SATA
drives because they're only one drive per channel, thus all are
"Master".

I use cable select on every IDE drive I put in any machine (including
optical drives). Never had a problem. You've gotta remember to use
proper 80 pin cables. Black = "master", gray = "slave", blue =
motherboard and set your bios to "Auto" if you plan on switching
drives fairly often.

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com