Re: how to set up 2 hard drives to cable select

On Saturday 01 January 2005 10:35 pm, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi, I am running debian sarge.
>
> I use a hard drive for back up, and I have to remove the   hard drive
> intermittently. Each time I pull out one of the the hard drives from
> the machine to store as a backup, it seems that I must always set the
> jumpers on both! drives each time.

You're probably doing something wrong...

> with 2 drives in machine -
> [one drive with "jumper set as master" and one drive with "jumper  as
slave" ]
> with 1 drive in machine -
> [one drive with  jumper set as "master with no slave present"]
>
> I  cant seem to get "cable select" to work ie: if one drive as master
> - set it to cable select adn it works on the   end of the cable, while
> if 2 drives are present, teh second drive on the ribbon closer to the
> mother board should be the slave and the further the master.

Cable select only works with one drive on the cable if it's going to
work at all.  I generally consider cable select *way* more trouble than
it was ever worth, and I *really* wish hard drive manufacturers would
let it die already.  Just use master/slave.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org