RE: Busy files on umount (was Re-partitioning ...)

On Sunday 02 January 2005 11:42, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> >># init 2
> >>

> >Thanks Kent. This looks like what I need to do. A
> >quick question: What's the reason for going into
> >single-user mode?
>
> So that no files on /usr are in use. You won't be able to unmount /usr
> otherwise.

A long time problem has been, in 2.6.# kernels at least, that the "init"
process has (in my case) the /usr/share partition busied up and this will not
umount cleanly on shutdown.

I have been using a lazy (umount -l) to enable orderly shutdown and the ext3
journal is recovered on next bootup. Attempts to sync the disks, placing
sleeps after quit and term signals, etc., have not helped. Obviously, at this
point, I should already be in a single-user mode.

Any ideas? Ad an "init #" line to any of the shutdown scripts involved?