Grub pausing during boot at stage 1.5

I've just completed an install of sarge on my laptop.  Everything is fine
except that grub (installed into the MBR) pauses for ages at boottime after
the 'stage 1.5' message.  It seems to be accessing my cdrom periodically
during this.  Eventually the boot menu does come up & after that everything
is fine.  I've only ever used lilo before on this machine, and the bootmenu
came up straight away on that.  I don't see any options in the grub man page
about having it search for cdroms etc - any ideas what's going on?