How to get Sound to work - Need step by step instructions

Hi,

A newbie question:
# Is there a step by step instuctions on how to setup Sound ?

1) I did an apt-get install sndconfig.
When I run sndconfig, I get the following error:
""
You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular
     ? sound enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the
     ? module search path).
     ? To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with
     ? modular sound, such as the kernel shipped with Red Hat
     ? Linux or a 2.2 or greater kernel.
""
But I am running Woody.
# uname -a
Linux Debian 2.2.20-idepci

2) When I do a lspci, I get:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 24d5 (rev 02)

3) when i do lsmod, I get:
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_cp437               3896   0  (autoclean)
af_packet               6136   1

4) I did a ls on /dev and I get:
:/dev# ls -l ds*
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 14  2002 dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  19 Mar 14  2002 dsp1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  35 Mar 14  2002 dsp2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  51 Mar 14  2002 dsp3

I am doing all these bits and pieces of things not knowing exactly how
to setup the sound on
my PC. This is a ASUS P5P800 Mobo with built in sound support.

Can you pls point me in the right direction ?
Thanks,
Rathon

Debian 3.0r1(Woody) | ASUS P5P800 Mobo | ATI Mach64 |
Intel P4 3.0GHz Cpu    | 1G DDR Ram                                |