Re: Re-partitioning -- uh oh, I'm confusedconfusconfusconconfusedfusededed

Ridge Chittenden wrote:

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Ridge Chittenden wrote:

Now, I want to recombine the partitions into one, big chunk.

This would be a pretty straightforward use of parted, I assume, but here's the rub: For some reason, the
Debian installer put / on /dev/hda1 and /usr on
/dev/hda3. If I just delete /dev/hda3, I'll destroy
/usr, right? That, I presume, would be bad.
So how to I handle this?

The installer apparently saw the two 60GB partitions
and used them both; one for / and one for /usr.

You'll need to copy the /usr files over to the first
partition.

# init 1
# umount /usr
# mkdir /oldusr
# mount /dev/hda3 /olduser
# cp -a /olduser/* /usr
# [edit /etc/fstab and comment out or delete the
/dev/hda3 line]
# init 2

Thanks Kent. This looks like what I need to do. A
quick question: What's the reason for going into
single-user mode?

So that no files on /usr are in use. You won't be able to unmount /usr otherwise.

I ask because this machine has
neither keyboard nor monitor, and I usually ssh into
it. init 1 drops my ssh connection.

(Thinking out loud: Perhaps this is a good time to
boot with a live CD--assuming it enables sshd--since I
expect I'll need to not be running off /dev/hda at all
to edit the partition table...)
That should be a workable solution.

--
Kent