XF86Config-4 and XDMCP

Hi all,

(Another question, new thread.... Appreciate all the
help as I try to understand Debian and Linux.)

I have a machine running Debian Woody that's being
used as a server--no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor. I
have XDMCP set up so that I can log in to an X session
on the machine from another machine on my home
network.

The question: I want to slim down the machine as much
as I can (RAM is limited), and I don't want to load
stuff I don't have to. What do I really need in
XF86Config-4 for a machine that never has a local
display? Another way to put it is, does the video
card, monitor, mouse and keyboard information come
from the XF86Config-4 on the machine that's logging
in? Or the machine that's running X?

Perhaps most critically, do I need to have that i810
section with the 8MB of video RAM borrowed from main
memory?

Thanks,

rc

Here's XF86Config-4:

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file)
generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the
debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the
XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by
dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above,
and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the
command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to
a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"
 # local font server
        # if the local font server has problems, we
can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath
"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath
"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "pex5"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "xie"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"
"/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"
"/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"
"ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "i810"
        VideoRam        8192
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-65