Re: sarge install problem: read-only disk

Title: Re: sarge install problem: read-only disk
Sorry for the repost. Replied to digest by accident. Thought better to keep it in the thread.

Hi Andreas,

on 1/1/05 5:18 AM, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org at debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

From: Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:05:14 +0100
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: sarge install problem: read-only disk

Hello

jon salenger (<salenger@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:

> I'm working on an install, and I could use a bit of help/advice if
> anyone can and is willing:
>
> I'm doing a daily businesscard install (20041231). The installer finds
> DHCP and runs perfectly up to the base system install and reboot.
>
> At that point I choose packages (in this case, the default 'desktop'
> packages) and download seems to run fine. However, when the packages
> begin to unpack and install, I get an error that the disk is
> read-only.
>
> Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how I could work around
> the problem?

What does the output of mount and df say? Is the partition mounted
read-only? Is it full maybe?

best regards
Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

I'll only send the output for hdc (the ide drive I'm installing to) since that seems to be the only applicable info, and I'm writing this by hand rather than sending a df > file. Note that this info is from a subsequent knoppix hd install, which works until I get my debian install in place. I should also note that experimenting with apt-get, apt-get upgrade from the knoppix install returned similar read-only errors.

mount:

/dev/hdc1 on / type ext3 (rw, errors=remount-ro)

df:

Filesystem  1K-blocks   Used    Available   Use%    Mounted on
/dev/hdc1    6728376     2196740 418952  35%      /

As far as the output from mount, I had seen earlier that the drive was set to remount as read-only on errors, but from a glance at google, this seemed like the standard. Perhaps though, there was some previous error (that I missed in the text scroll) that caused the volume to remount-ro?

(By the way, thanks for the mount command. Previously I was doing cat /etc/mtab. I'm still pretty new to *nix. ;P)

My best and thanks for the assistance,

Jon