Re: Remote X-Desktop

> Hi,
>
> I have a server without a monitor that I need to run X on.
> I will need to run X programs on the machine and I want to be able to
> log on to the server from my desktop mashine. When I log in I want to be
> able to start X programs and have them running when I log off.
>
> Server is running testing+gnome and the desktop is running unstable+gnome.
>
> What programs will be best suited for this need? When I know what
> programs, I will hopefully be able to read my way to how to set it up.
>
> Regards
> Stefan
Hi Stefan,

you could install a display manager (e.g. xdm), specify no local
servers in its /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, and enable tcp listening and
the XDMCP protocol instead (latter should already be enabled by
default), so that you can run on the desktop machine:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -query <server-ip> -from <desktop-ip> vt8
(adapt the number of the desktop's local display and the
virtual terminal it shall connect to to your needs)

Don't know if I got the syntax exactly right, but you can look
up the mechanism in the manpages of xadm(1) (especially read
through XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL) and Xserver(1) (concerning the
commandline options of X).

HTH,

Jan
--