Re: Remote X-Desktop

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 18:46 +0100, Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
--snip--
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -query <server-ip> -from <desktop-ip> vt8
> (adapt the number of the desktop's local display and the
> virtual terminal it shall connect to to your needs)
>
> Don't know if I got the syntax exactly right, but you can look
> up the mechanism in the manpages of xadm(1) (especially read
> through XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL) and Xserver(1) (concerning the
> commandline options of X).

If you're already running gnome on your desktop machine you probably are
running GDM as well. You can run the XDMCP chooser from within GDM and
you'll get a listing of all available X servers on the network. Then you
can just click on the appropriate machine and log in. (You'll still need
to set up the server to allow XDMCP connections of course.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837