Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On 03 Oct 2004, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> ><#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
> >
> >Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> writes:

> >>Sure, instead it'll freeze at stage 1.5.  Hardly an improvement.
> >>

> >But how often does that happen?  I've never seen it myself.
> >

> I have, unfortunately.  I have a machine that just doesn't wanna work
> from a hard drive boot - but it works fine from CD or floppy.  Both LILO
> and Grub fail.
[snip]

I prefer to avoid all such risks by having a small DOS partition and
booting from that with loadlin.exe. I did this originally because I
still needed to run some DOS programs. I no longer do this but I'd
always keep a small DOS partition just for ease of booting and safety.

If you feel unhappy at giving space to MS you could use FreeDOS, but
I've found that to be fairly buggy. I salve my conscience by reflecting
that Mr Gates didn't originally write DOS anyway.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic