Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:47:22AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

and was comfortable with Lilo.  Are there compelling reasons to switch
to Grub

My top handful of reasons why I like GRUB (a lot) better than LILO are,
in no particular order:

- With grub,  the boot process will never freeze at LI
- You don't have to rerun grub every time you changed the config file
- Grub understands file systems
- Grub has an interactive shell, so that if you do foul up the
 config file, you have a pretty decent chance of saving yourself and
 navigating to a bootable kernel.  The interactive shell can also
 let you fix boot paramters on the fly, if that's what you did wrong
 or if you just want to test them without editing the config file.
 When you find the right one(s), then edit the file to make them
 permanent.

There are probably more good reasons to prefer grub, but those are just
the ones that come right off the top of my head.

I'm told that lilo boots software raid better than grub does (I've done
that on RH 7.3 years ago, but maybe their grub was patched?), so if
that's an issue for you, take it into consideration. Of course, Debian _still_ doesn't install to, or support booting from, software
RAID so that probably isn't an issue for most of us :-p

HTH,

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Tell me, who's that writin'?