Re: modem for potato

Gérard writes:
> When we buy a modem we get the driver for this modem but unfortunetly it
> is for windows not for linux.

External modems do not require drivers.

> My problem for the moment is to find a second-hand modem which works fine
> with a 486 and potato.(i.e. such that potato contains the suitable
> driver)

External modems do not require drivers.

> If I was able to write a driver...

External modems do not require drivers.  They merely require appropriate
configuration.  I suspect that the modems you were unable to get to work
had their internal registers loaded with wonky values so that they did not
respond properly.  The fix for this is to connect to the modem with a
program such as minicom and reconfigure it.
--
John Hasler