Re: USB printer installation(How to do)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:56:27 +0000, Telmo Filipe Tavares da Silva
<tsilva@zmail.pt> wrote:
> I have an HP / DeskJet 3650 printer and wish to install it on my Debian
> Sarge OS. I have read documentation over linuxprinting and installed
> cups, but whenever I install my printer throw "printconf", which
> supposely should be on /dev/usb/lp0, it istalls it over
> "usb://3650?serial=TH39J1800Z6B". When I try to print the printer
> doesn't respond. It doesn't move an inch. Should it default to that
> port? In the web interface of cups, /dev/usb/lp0 isn't present. How
> should I do it? Can anyone help?

I just went through this with a DJ3845 on Sid.  I had trouble getting
cups to work, so I went with lprng instead.  Here's the printcap entry
that made everything work:

lp|HP Deskjet printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0: \
        :force_localhost: \
        :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
        :ppd=/var/spool/lpd/lp/HP-DeskJet_3840-hpijs.ppd: \
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
        :mx#0:sh:

It could be that all you need at this point (noticing the need to use
/dev/usb/lp0 instead of /dev/lp0 was my final hurdle after abandoning
cups, not that I'm proud of that...) is to grab the ppd file from
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=hpijs&printer=HP-DeskJet_3840&show=0
(unless, of course, you've already done this) and put it in
/etc/cups/ppd/ if you're using cups or the location specified by the
":ppd=" line if you're using lprng.  Also make sure you have hpijs
installed.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh