Help with install

I downloaded the ISO images and burned them to CD. But I cannot boot from the CD, even though it is supported by my system BIOS. Also, when I burned the images, they copied exactly as the downloaded images, just an ISO image. Shouldn't there be individual files such as the kernel on the CD. If not, how can I create a bootable floppy disk so I can get Linux installed, and will that even work with the ISO images on the CDs?

Gotta get out away from Windoze,
Bruce Smith
begin:vcard
fn:Bruce Smith