Re: Mysterious use of bandwidth? Any tools to nail it?

On Thursday 30 December 2004 12:09 pm, R G Cottrell wrote:

> While I'm waiting for my kernel to compile I've been noticing that
> from time to time there's a lot of activity on my modem at times
> when I'm not doing anything to cause any transfers.

That's normal.  You are on the same broadcast domain as other equipment,
you're likely seeing broadcast packets.

> My modem only
> has a single data LED, so I can't tell whether the data is coming or
> going.

Even if you had both, you still wouldn't be able to tell because a send
and receive light would both blink at the same time from a human
perspective.

> Is there any simple tool that will show me (in realtime, preferably)
> any processes on my box that are accessing the PPP interface?

ippl might be what you want, though logcheck will point out the truly
nasty stuff instead of all the background noise.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org