Mysterious use of bandwidth? Any tools to nail it?

Hi all,

While I'm waiting for my kernel to compile I've been noticing that
from time to time there's a lot of activity on my modem at times
when I'm not doing anything to cause any transfers.  My modem only
has a single data LED, so I can't tell whether the data is coming or
going.  My guess is that it's just malicious packets from the internet
splashing against my firewall, but I'd like to rule out the possibility
that there's some malicious process running on my machine that's
actively communicating with some other computer on the net.
(If they're really out to get you it's not called paranoia. :-)

Is there any simple tool that will show me (in realtime, preferably)
any processes on my box that are accessing the PPP interface?

FWIW, I'm running sarge on a Pentium box.

Regards, Rossc.