New drive, problems with old drive

Critical info:

Debian with 2.22 Kernel
I386 infrastructure
2 120 GB hard drives

We were having problems with the old drive, to the point it was getting memory errors on boot. We installed a new drive in, and put the old drive as master.

Installed Debian on the new drive, no problems, and during the partitioning process, it showed both drives (though I didn't partition the old drive, because I didn't want to erase it, so I could recover data)

After complete install, the new drive shows up as expected, the old drive doesn't, and isn't in fstab. cfdisk only shows the one drive.

Any ideas?

Scott