Re: Using killfiles

ABrady wrote:
Thank you for helping to make my point.

    You have no point.

Anyone thinking that I propose imposing my will on anyone needs to look
in a mirror. Your own religious/political OT stuff is the imposition on
those of us wanting to deal with linux/Debian/derivatives, not the other
way around.

What you're missing is what has been discussed, time and again on this list, on what exactly is off topic. Time and again, over the span of *years*, it has been confirmed that practically nothing is truly off topic on this list as long as the discussion does not override all other discussions on the list. If you don't believe me check the archives yourself, they're open and free to all. The reasoning is that this is debian-user, a list for users of Debian. Any topic those users happen to want to discuss at a particular moment in time is fair game as long as they are indeed /users of Debian/.

So, yes, you are proposing imposing your own will on the list. You've arrived here with the mistaken notion that the list is one thing when it is not. What you are doing is no better than the people who show up every few weeks insisting that CCing on every post is a must, top-posting is preferred to in-line replying and, in general, feel they are qualified to judge the culture that they have stumbled across without first taking one second to learn about it. In short, your opinions are worthless until you have taken the time to learn about that which you've entered. It is a common mistake many people make when entering a long established mailing-list, webboard, newsgroup, IRC channel or any other venue where people gather to discuss anything.

I'm simply asking that you stop. If you don't I'll leave and
you can go on with your own unrelated items that are guaranteed to
alienate more and more people, and you'll eventually be left to your own
little clique of like-minded me-too-ers.

Do you know how often that has been cited over the years? debian-user is still here. In fact in this recent flare-up of "what's on-topic" incited by you you do realize that you're discussing less than 10% of the list traffic for a grand total of a whole 2 days (so far). Several particicpants (myself included) started and stopped discussing it in under 24 hours. In the grand scheme of things you're talking about maybe 1-2% of the list traffic in any given timeframe measured in weeks or months?

If you don't want to participate, fine by me. But don't presume to think you hold any moral high-ground here because you most certainly do not.

To those who are offering advice, both public and private, on my free
exercise of filtering, thank you for your efforts. But I already know
how to use them, when I feel it's necessary to use them, on whom or what
I'll use them and so on.

Then take the advice because your posturing to make yourself look good isn't impressing anyone except those who have been here less than yourself. *You* can conform to the culture in which you have entered or not. That is *your* choice. But even suggesting the reverse happen is the height of arrogance and rudeness.