entering unicode chars

Hi list,

Where do I configure entering of unicode characters in Gnome 2.8?

I don't even know what the technical term, but as in pressing a modifier
key, then the accent and then the letter.

i.e.,

<modifier key>'e => é

At the moment, some of them don't do the right thing:

e.g.,

<modifier key>-a => ã

I would prefer if it went to ā (a+macron), since <modifier key>~a also
gives ã.

It works for e: <modifier key>-e => ē

Can anyone help?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a