Re: How to access external USB hard drive?

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:34:36 -0600, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> > Do I need hotplug installed for the kernel to see the drive?  It's
> > currently not installed.
>
> no, you shouldnt (although it is a good package), instead try a
> different kernel. (either compile your own from kernel.org or
> up/downgrade to either 2.6.7 or 2.6.9)
>
> -matt zagrabelny

I'm not sure what was said above on this thread, as the archives for
this are a mess, but I'm guessing you won't need to compile a whole
new kernel. If you are using a stock kernel from debian, you can get
the source and just compile USB Support (if you do not have it) and
the usb-storage.ko (or .o if your on 2.4) module is all you should
need to support most usb storage drives on the market.

Hope you don't have to compile a new kernel,
Jonathan