Re: How to access external USB hard drive?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:19:35 -0800 (PST), Matt Perry
<matt@primefactor.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I'm running Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.8-1-686 (from
> the deb kernel package).  I just bought a USB drive enclosure with a
> drive that I wish to mount in Debian.  I'm not sure what I need to do
> to make this happen.
>
> I plugged the unit into the USB port but I didn't see anything appear
> in the syslog.  I also did "modprobe usb-storage" which also appeared
> to do nothing.  I know the drive and enclosure are good since I was
> able to use it on a Windows box.  USB is enabled in my BIOS settings.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get this to work?  I'm not sure what I need
> to look at next.

If you check 'dmesg' output right after you plug it in you should see
something similar to this:

(this is my compact flash reader, but my harddrives behave the same)

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 10
  Vendor: Genesys   Model: USB to IDE Card   Rev: 0113
SCSI device sdj: 1000945 512-byte hdwr sectors (512 MB)
sdj: assuming Write Enabled
sdj: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host15/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi removable disk sdj at scsi15, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 10

it created a  device 'sdj' to represent the card, with a single partition.

You need to make sure a handful of modules are installed. modprobe of
usb_storage _should_ have loaded the majority of them. In which case
you should see a whole bunch of neatstuff in dmesg.

You can check and see what modules are loaded by using
lsmod
or
cat /proc/modules

I use a stock 2.6.8-1-k7 image and modules.

I also have udev and hotplug installed to handle the devices.

It can be very complicated unfortunately. So I would suggest starting
to see if you have hotplug installed... maybe that will lead you.

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com