Re: How to access external USB hard drive?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Darryl Clarke wrote:

> If you check 'dmesg' output right after you plug it in you should see
> something similar to this:
 [snip]

I tried that and there was no new output in dmesg.  At the time the
usb drivers that are loaded are usbkbd and usbcore.  After plugging it
in and not seeing anything from dmesg I ran modprobe usb-storage.
This was all that was added to dmesg:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.

> It can be very complicated unfortunately. So I would suggest starting
> to see if you have hotplug installed... maybe that will lead you.

Do I need hotplug installed for the kernel to see the drive?  It's
currently not installed.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com