Re: Strange LVM on RAID Behaviour with Sarge

on 29/12/04 00:58, Leni Mayo wrote:
> Lucas Barbuto wrote:
>  > ...
>  > I get this error at the top of dmesg (repeated many times):
>  >
>  >> devfs_mk_dir: invalid argument.<4>devfs_mk_dev: could not append to
> parent for /disc
>
> I saw the same error message on a sarge installation with a 2.6.8-10
> kernel, but not the 2.4.27 kernel.
>
> Recompiling the 2.6.8 kernel without devfs makes the problem go away.
> ie .config reads:
> 	# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
>
> I also rebuilt initrd.gz (with lvm2create_initrd.sh, see
> http://www.poochiereds.net/svn/lvm2/lvm2create_initrd) because the error
> seemed to relate to devfs initialisation at that stage of boot.

Leni,

Thanks for following up my post, I'm sure we're not the only two people
in the world to have seen this problem.

What about installing udev as a replacement for devfs?

As a quick followup to my post, I was messing around with initrds and
things and completely hosed my disk setup leaving my system unbootable.
 I've since re-installed, but I'm leaving both boot and root out of LVM,
just on RAID-1.

Would it be safe for me to follow this simple howto[1] for using udev
and not devfs on Sarge?  I can't think why not.  That should get rid of
these error messages also, yes?  I might give it a try.

[1] http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/186

Regards,

--
Lucas