amanda

Does anybody here use amanda?

On my spanky new Sarge system, apt-get's amanda-server simply doesn't
work. It gets installed as user:group backup:backup, and amdump won't
run unless the user is amanda. Among other things.

Compiling from source (from amanda.org) doesn't work either
because .configure can't find readline, but apt claims it's installed.
Then the install dies installing amrecover because a source file
generated by flex is missing. But I can find it...

.configure's problem with readline generates a warning, not an error --
amrecover won't have command line editing or history, so they may be
related.

I've got a crippled install working (from the compile); it looks like
it's going to write tapes, but restore is going to be messy, as things
are right now.

If you got it running, how'd you do it?

--
Glenn English