Re: amanda

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 14:27 -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> Does anybody here use amanda?

I'm running Amanda on a woody system, all runs fine.

> On my spanky new Sarge system, apt-get's amanda-server simply doesn't
> work. It gets installed as user:group backup:backup, and amdump won't
> run unless the user is amanda. Among other things.

Take a look in your amanda.conf (/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf),
that has a dumpuser line. On mine it is backup, the same as the user set
in /etc/inetd.conf. If you run the backup as a different user you need
to fix up the permissions under /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1 to get
amrecover working.
What does amcheck show?

> Compiling from source (from amanda.org) doesn't work either
> because .configure can't find readline, but apt claims it's installed.
> Then the install dies installing amrecover because a source file
> generated by flex is missing. But I can find it...
Have you got the readline development library installed,
libreadline4-dev or libreadline5-dev?

Best of luck.

--
Paul Mansfield