Re: Debian sid and "risk management"

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 09:18 -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 22:39 -0600, Tim Kelley wrote:
> --snip--
> > If you think testing or unstable is suitable for production systems you are
> > one of
> >
> > 1. an idiot
> > 2. have very limited needs/no experience
> > 3. talking out of your ass
> > 4. have no concept of what it means to be responsible for others' work
>
> Thanks for the kind words. :)
>
> My comment regarding the nuclear defense grid was a reference to mission
> critical systems. If production DEPENDS on a server being up no matter
> what, then absolutely, you should be running Woody. However, since the
> majority of the work that I do is IT outsourcing for companies, most of
> the servers that we put together are for internal or non-mission
> critical external applications.
>
> In these cases, running Sid is perfectly acceptable and preferable,
> since our customers tend to be more interested in having better features
> available and they can survive if they go without email for 3 hours in a
> year. And having 19 Sid servers in our data center and another 68 at
> customer sites with no major problems in nearly 4 years should go a ways
> towards illustrating that.
>
> But I do absolutely agree that for mission critical systems, stable
> should be the only real choice.

With or without backports? Or hand compiled packages? or Third Party
(read as non-Debian) software that needs non-Debian package (as in not
packaged by Debian Developers for Debian)?

To what extent do you see, MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS being? an example
please.

context:
        I also agree that for mission critical systems, stable should be
        the only real choice. I just want to know what justifications
        lead others to these conclusions. As I sometimes have wildly
        different schema for my classifications and just want to see
        just how wild they really are.

Thanks in advance.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net