Re: Debian sid and "risk management"

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 22:39 -0600, Tim Kelley wrote:
--snip--
> If you think testing or unstable is suitable for production systems you are
> one of
>
> 1. an idiot
> 2. have very limited needs/no experience
> 3. talking out of your ass
> 4. have no concept of what it means to be responsible for others' work

Thanks for the kind words. :)

My comment regarding the nuclear defense grid was a reference to mission
critical systems. If production DEPENDS on a server being up no matter
what, then absolutely, you should be running Woody. However, since the
majority of the work that I do is IT outsourcing for companies, most of
the servers that we put together are for internal or non-mission
critical external applications.

In these cases, running Sid is perfectly acceptable and preferable,
since our customers tend to be more interested in having better features
available and they can survive if they go without email for 3 hours in a
year. And having 19 Sid servers in our data center and another 68 at
customer sites with no major problems in nearly 4 years should go a ways
towards illustrating that.

But I do absolutely agree that for mission critical systems, stable
should be the only real choice.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837