Debian sid and "risk management"

Background considerations, question follows:

When I was studying as a doctor (a loooong time ago) my Pharmacology professor told us:

"A good doctor is never the first to use a new medicine and never the last to abandon an old one"

and later on my sailplane instructor told me:

"There are old pilots and bold pilots but NO old bold pilots"

While I love using sid because of the very current releases and I am willing to take the risk of having to debug "some" problems, being the system I WORK with the only I have, getting fundamental things wrong can seriously impact my job.

Just as an example, in the moment I write, synaptic tells me I could upgrade LVM2, login, and HAL. If these bomb I would be in trouble. If xpdf bombed it would be a little annoying but nothing more.

One solution for the "fundamental packages" (please do not call me coward but only cautious) would be, (like the medicine example on top) to wait a little time (say one week ten days) before installing any new packages and before that checking if/which serious bugs have been reported.

I am aware that I would leave the braver doing "first line fighting" and I would be there too if I haved any of the following:

a) more free time
b) another test machine
c) using Linux not as my primary work environment

Questions:

Is there data in the package system to assess the date of the release of a given package ?

Is there an automatic way to check even only for the number of severe bugs for a package from any of the package manager frontends ?

Thank you very much,
Bob