Re: Windows vs Linux Functionality?

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 11:32 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > Well, Linux is certainly less user friendly (especially if you have
> > difficulty with english as localization is quite poor)
>
>      Although I cannot comment on the localization issue let's please not
> repeat this particular piece of FUD.  Studies of children who have never used
> computers before do /not/ find Linux any harder to learn than Windows (or
> Mac).  They are just /different/ and a great many people have a problem with
> anything that's different.  They will always find the first thing they have
> learned easier than any alternative.  If you do not understand that we'll have
> to review all the cases where people (normaly older, but not always) having
> problems with computers and preferring non-computer alternatives to do the
> same task because it is easier.  :P

I second that. My dad always found Windows difficult to use for years
because he learned how to use the computer in the days of DOS with the
assistance of Norton Commander. Windows was really difficult for him. I
recently helped him make the jump to Ubuntu and he's been quite happy so
far. I'm actually considering installing Midnight Commander for him to
see how he likes it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837