Re: PPP ip-up and firestarter

--- Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:

> Jedi Knight(padawan_learner2005@yahoo.com) is
> reported to have said:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using debian and use ppp to dial to my ISP. I
> > wanted to start firestarter whenever my connection
> is
> > up and stop it whenever my connection goes down.
> > Firestarter creates automatically a script in
> > /etc/ppp/ip-ip.d/ directory so that /etc/ppp/ip-up
> > script runs it whenever ppp is up. However, it's
> not
> > working.
> What do you mean by "it's not working"?
>
> If you do
> $iptables -L
> what do you see?
> >
> > Although I get the message that ip-up script
> > started, nothing seems to happen.
>
> What are you expecting to see?  Is the 'Active'
> status showing it is
> 'disabled" or what?
> >
> > I check the
> > firestarter status with /etc/init.d/firestarter
> status
> > and it tells me that it's not running. What could
> be
> > the problem? Thanks for your help.
>
> I just tested the version I am running, 1.0.1-1, and
>
> /etc/init.d/firestarter start does start the
> firewall and
> /etc/init.d/firestarter status does say it is up and
> iptables -L does display the firewall rules.
>
> I do notice one bug tho, I have a script in
> /etc/ppp/ip-dowd.d to
> stop the firewall and it does, as shown the
> /etc/init.d/firestarter
> status script but the GUI status indicator still
> says it is active.
>
> As a Jedi you should remember that you have to
> explain the problem in
> more detail to us mere mortals.  :-)
>
> WT
> --
> You are making progress if each mistake is a new
> one.

Oh... sorry about that. Sometimes I just forget that
I'm a Jedi... :)
Anyway, whenever I get connected to my ISP, I get the
message that the ip-up script has started and a little
while later, that it has finished. However, If I check
iptables -L, there's no rules at all. And
/etc/init.d/firestarter status tells me it's stopped.
The firestarter GUI status is stopped too. So I have
to start it manually every time I get connected. It
seems that the ip-up script is not being run correctly
by pppd, but I just don't know what could be wrong
with it. The funny thing is that if I run
/etc/ppp/ip-up manually after the connection is made
it works perfectly.

=====
May the force be with you.