Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 08:46:16AM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:16:03PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 07:39:34PM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) wrote:

> > > But how often does that happen?  I've never seen it myself.
> >
> > I have.
> >
> > GRUB offers (advantage) the option to shuffle around partitions as
> > they're visible to the OS.  Very useful if, say, you're dealing with a
> > multi-boot system and didn't (or couldn't) put some lame-ass piss-poor
> > excuse of an OS like, say, a DOS-based legacy MS Windows variant, on the
> > first partition of the first IDE disk.
>
> Mm?  I've got
>
> 	hda1 - swap
> 	hda2 - linux
> 	hda3 - dos/win3.1
>
> and lilo has never had any trouble with that.

Just my opinion:
Grub is much more featureful than lilo. It has a scripting language that
can be used during boot to get you out of any trouble that you may have
gotten into by reworking your kernel config. But to use it, you have to
remember how it works. To remember you have to have learned it features.
When I realized this I reverted to lilo. It does the job for me. I truly
believe grub is better, but I'm not ever going to learn and _remember_
how to use it.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net