Re: What files in /etc must be writable?

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:24:27AM -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> However, the liveCD had errors during boot, because some files
> apparently have to be writeable during boot.  For example, I guess,
> /etc/mtab.  Does /etc/fstab have to be writeable?   What other files
> need to be writeable?

/etc/fstab isn't updated during boot

You can find out which /etc files are touched during boot by taking a
look at the `date`, then booting, then typing:

	ls -ltc /etc | less

This shows the last time each file (or its inode) was modified, sorted
most recently modified first.  If you want to check just for file
modification, `ls -lt` will do that.