Re: What files in /etc must be writable?

William Ballard wrote:
However, the liveCD had errors during boot, because some files apparently have to be writeable during boot. For example, I guess, /etc/mtab. Does /etc/fstab have to be writeable? What other files need to be writeable?

Anything which is touched by a script. hostname and motd come to mind as something in the rc.? directories resets both of those each reboot. Of course one could just root out the scripts in question but there might be others I am not aware of that aren't as easily slapped. :D