Re: The Debian IRC channel

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:53:01PM +0100, Kim wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Yesterday I was testing the new Fedora Core 3 and since I needed some
> information I connected to the fedora channel on irc.freenode.net. I
> also connected to the linux channel.
>
> In both these channels I asked a couple of questions and I quickly
> discovered that people on the channel was very very friendly and
> helpfull. That actually surprised me alot since I am used to a (after my
> opinion) a very unfriendly atmosphere on the debian channel. I know that
> the debian channel isn't part of the officiel debian community.
>
> Now since I found there was such a big difference I adressed the issue
> on the debian channel afterwards. Quickly a lot of people "pm" me and
> agreed. I only posted a couple of messages advicing people to maintain
> the freenode policy of helpfullness and kindness and I stated that the
> normally unfriendly atmosphere was damanging to debian since many people
> don't know that the channel isn't debians official channel. Also I
> stated that the debian community in general is known to be very friendly
> and helpful.
>
> Saying that I soon experienced a lot of rudeness and after only posting
> I think about 5 messages in total I got banned. And since I sit on a wan
> which has only one public IP the entire wan is actually banned.
>
> The reason why I post this here is because I wan't to raise the question
> wether or not it's a good idea to have an official debian irc channel
> which would have the good community spirit?
>
> I also consider the current channel as a very unhelpful channel and in
> many cases people who are trying debian for the first time goes there
> only to find a lot of insults if they don't understand at first or if
> they have missed to find some kind of related information. Instead of
> helping to solve the problem people there might actually be a cause for
> other people to quit trying to solve the problems and give up.
>
> On the channel there is always a lot of people connected but it seems
> that only a clique of the same people are answering the questions.
>
> I know that these mailing list a the best place to get help, but if a
> person needs help here and now an irc channel can be very beneficial
> which I experienced at both fedora and linux channel yesterday.
>
> What do you think?

It might be my great nickname that I have chosen, it could have been my
stunning looks, but I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that
every question that I had was awanserd on the #debian channel, and in a
pretty good atmosphere I might add. There is even some room real "tech"humor.
But then again, there are questions that people just don't know an awanser
to. It happens but, then again, in 12 hours the "active" users change
shifts, and you have yet another chance on getting your question awanserd if
you realy think the IRC channel is the only place where you can get your
questions awanserd.

Hmmm... I might be able to look the whole episode that you discribe
here up, but that would mean that it will be taken out into the open, and we
could have a "gnu"-jury session about IRC ethics.. and I don't think that's
what we want.

I strongly belive that it is not what you ask, but the way you ask/write
your question. IRC (as long as I can remember) has allways been a great
place to let a flamewar get completely out of controle.
Now, that more or less goes for mailinglists too. And I have seen a lot
fierce flame wars going round on a couple of lists aswell, and banning is
in any case a last resort.

case: #debian <- banning is a last resort.

Now.. (if you maintain the network), good for you. A complete wan behind one
IP. There is no operator (that's what you call them @-ed fokes on irc
channels) that is going to ask you to explain your infrastructure, and see
if it's good enough story, and ban on user@domain, instead of a logical
*!*@domain basis.

Although the channel is packed (over 600 users, AND growing), a lot just
are/try to be as idle as possible (and that includes me). Now, I'm not sure
if that's a good or a bad thing, but I know that the most try to learn as
they lurk. So it looks big, it might give you the feeling that you are just
"one of many with "stupid" questions.. but don't adjust your attitude
accordingly (and please don't get me wrong, I never said you did.. but then
again..).

No offence, but.. if you honestly got removed from #debian by force, there
is a good chance that there was a real good reason for it.