Re: nVidia Video Drivers Need Reinstalled After Reboot

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:06:42 -0800, Scarletdown
<gsutton9503@wavecable.com> wrote:
> I just recently did a fresh install of Debian (Sarge - Net Install and
> dist-upgraded to Sid) with Kernel 2.6.9-1-K7.  After a bit of hair
> pulling, I managed to get the latest nVidia GeForce drivers installed.
> However, every time I reboot I have to reinstall the drivers, and then
> manually run gdm.  Any ideas how to fix this?

Everytime you reboot? That seems odd. The only time you should have to
install the nVidia (I'm assuming the non-free ones from nvidia's site)
is when you upgrade or change your kernel.

Typically my behaviour after a new kernel image is installed gdm will
fail because nvidia module fails to load. I rebuild the module(s),
modprobe it, restart gdm, and all is well. But not every reboot.

Since you are using unstable, I would suggest going to the devel lists
rather than the user list.

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com