Re: how to use

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Sunday 19 December 2004 10:29 am, Mickel Rateliff wrote:
To whom it may concern,
I just purchased and a copy of Debian Yet after I installed it I
found all it boots up to is a command line host. i am not sure of how to install the gui and have it run on bootup.

Had you searched the archives, you would have found out that you need to install x-window-system and your favorite desktop environment (kde, gnome, etc) before wasting time and bandwidth asking.

Nothing personal, everybody does it at some point in their life, but this has been a bit of a problem on this list lately.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html gives some tips on how to prevent asking a repeat question, and how to ask a question most likely to give you the answer you need.

With so many requests for assistance upon reaching the command line, MAYBE it is time to include a simple text file (README.FIRST) to assist. I realise this may indeed be wasted effort as so many don't even make any effort to seek info. This seems to be a reflection of the M$ crowd migrating to Debian. Their entire computing life to date has been hand holding and "do as I have provided, question nothing". Maybe 20 situps prior to install!

Whatch-ya-thinK?