Re: Configure xserver-xfree86

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:49:40PM -0500, donald szatkowski wrote:
> I am trying to set up my xserver and am having trouble finding the
> correct area to find a reference for requested info. In particular, the
> configuration asks for the driver. My video card is an S3. From the
> Free86.org site it seems the S3 driver is required, but Debian30r2 only
> has S3Savage for a driver.

If you're running Woody, and using Xfree V 3.<something>, there is a
separate xserver-s3 (IIRC) driver.  Also, IIRC, I ran this driver with
V4 (I _think_).

I originally had trouble getting XFree V4 running, but finally with 4.3,
got it to work with the s3 driver.  I had to drop my color depth to 16,
but it looks good.

> Now I am asked for the video card's bus
> identifier. Here is where I can not find a reference to help. Displayed
> in the config. window is "PCI:00:14:0".

FWIW, I have mine connecgted to 00:10:0.  I specified this in my
XF86Config-4, but don't ask me now how I came up with this. My
/var/log/XFree86.0.log shows probably 30-some BusID's that it says
there's no Card listed for, so any of these _might_ work..

BTW, my S3 chip is the 968 series.

> If someone could direct me to
> the source to decipher this. Is this pci bus 00 irq 14? pci bus 00 irq
> 0? How do I interpret this entry?

I don't think it's IRQ, Mine's connected to IRQ 12 on 00:10:0 (The 10 is
decimal, not hex)

> Just a reference or direction to look
> is fine, I'll do the work. I have looked at XFree86.org and could find
> nothing.

I think the way I did it was to just try things till I got a "picture".

>From what I read here, the Sarge installer might make life easier for
you if you could start from a fresh install.