Re: Please--sound

> I cannot get ALSA to run properly on bootup. I get an error message
> about /etc/rc2.d that says alsactl cannot find the card.

That message is only a warning.  If your module loader is set up correctly
then "alsactl restore" will be run after the module loads.

> How do I get ALSA to run alsactl correctly on bootup?

Upgrade to the latest alsa-base and alsa-utils packages in unstable.

> Running alsaconf is not an option for me because it cannot find the
> correct parameters

To do by hand what alsaconf does for you automatically (when it works),
simply create /etc/modutils/sound with the following contents

    alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2

--
Thomas Hood