Re: Debian and Dell?

Hello!

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:48:33PM -0500, Nathanael Hasbrouck wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2004 2230, somebody named Kevin B. McCarty
> inscribed this message:
> > [...]
> > lilo, you must re-run the "/sbin/lilo" program every time the kernel
> > location changes, even just the inode (e.g. by installing or upgrading a
> > [...]
> > I think grub gets around this limitation in some way, but I'm not
> > completely sure as I don't use it.
>
> The update-grub script maybe - it will generate a menu.1st for you based on
> the kernel images it finds in /boot.  It can be run automagically when
> installing a new kernel pretty easily - [...]

No, this script simply lists the available kernel images for the grub
menu, but grub doesn't really need this as grub has some knowledge
about filesystems which lilo has not.
You can completely configure grub at boot time using the grub prompt,
ie. finding the kernel image / initrd you need on disk and setting
further parameters like making partitions active or hiding / swapping
them, which is quite convenient.

Cheers,
Flo