Re: Kudos to BootCD!

William Ballard wrote:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:56:53AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

True, but fitting it on one CD seems a problem with an existing system.
I am going to try building one from scratch to keep watch on the size.

I keep a local mirror of all the .debs I have installed.
I have a script that moves /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb to a directory, runs dpkg-scanpackages on the directory which identifies duplicates/olds and only writes the latest to a Packages file. I move the residue to an archive hierarchy (by date), and munge the data into a "local partial mirror."

Such a neat trick. I guess I never investigated dpkg-scanpackages. Can you amplify a little bit? You move all the debs and then you run dpkg-scanpackages on that. What about those binarydir overridefile parms? Your package file is that [pathprefix] > Packages?

By its very operation it writes only the latest, yes?

Then what exactly are those last 2 steps you mention?

Thanks!

So I ran debootstrap and use a file:/ URL to point it to this local mirror. Then I chroot into it, mount my "outside" file system via NFS, install the packages I want on the CD, in particular install a kernel,
install bootcd, then make the .ISO image.

I am testing the ISO in VMWare.